Friday, June 24, 2011

Cap'N Crunch

Noah's diet has had its ups and downs. We are now on a 2:1 ratio and he is tolerating it pretty well. Pretty well that is until last night.
I asked Noah to go get his pajamas on before bedtime. He took off his clothes, put them in the dirty clothes and next thing I know I hear him crying in his room. I went in there to ask him what was wrong and he started balling. He could barely speak through his sobs and said "I miss my favorite cereal". Jon had been hiding Cap'N Crunch and having it after the boys' bedtime. He did a good job hiding it but after the box was empty we put it in the laundry room to be recycled. We didn't even think about him seeing it. At that point I broke down and held him and cried with him. He got over it pretty quick, however, I am still struggling with it. This is a lot harder than I thought. I knew preparing the meals would be hard but I thought he would handle the diet pretty well.
We are only 11 days into it and it is already a big struggle. Noah is often thinking about special treats to have and then realizing that he can't have them. This morning he was talking about going camping and having s'mores. He was so excited. I had to just let him enjoy the moment. I didn't have the heart to tell him he wouldn't be able to have one, in fact all of us probably won't have one.
We are trying to take this one day at a time. Sometimes I just want to give up but I know this is for the best. We are hoping to see results soon and I know that will give us encouragement. Yesterday when I was really struggling with all of this, I was reading Hebrews 11:21. It says, "By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph's sons, and worshiped as he leaned on top of his staff." Some how this brought me encouragement. Jacob was dying but he was still able to lean upon his staff and worship God. Obviously, I'm not dying. I do feel exhausted and sometimes ready to give up on this diet. I know, deep down, that I can lean on God and worship Him because He is my rock (and Noah's) and He will get us through this.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Praying lots for you guys! especially praying that you will see clear results that make this regime worth it! also praying that you will find some new food ideas that go with the plan but are attractive to Noah-and to you!
love,Betty

Anonymous said...

Jon was a councillor at the Island Lake camp I went to last summer. He was an amazing guy, but I had no idea about his son. I pray for you guys and that the diet works out. Noah's such a young kid, but he's such an inspiration, working through it all. I hope things get better and that you see improvement. Keep talking to God, and encourage Noah to do the same, because He's the one who is able to fix everything. Tell Noah that God loved him and wants him to get better, but in order for God to help him, he needs to work with God, and that includes eating certain foods.

Praying for you,
Alice.

Lorna said...

I thought you might be interested in this blog I saw today. http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/
Jimmy Moore is a born-again Christian who advocates a low-carb/high fat diet. I've learned a lot from his blog over the years and appreciate his work. The blog today is on why a high fat ketogenic diet works for epilepsy and the science behind it. Hope it's encouraging to you. My son, Tyler, is the photographer at camp this year and told me about you and your blog. With love, Lorna.